Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Next Step in UC Treatment

I saw my gastrointerologist this week. He said I've gone from what he considers mild to moderate UC.  =/
Since the 5-ASA drugs are not working for me (Asacol, Balsalazide, etc) I've moved on to the next step.

The good news is that the next step isn't as hard on the wallet as I feared it might be. It is just harder on the body apparently, with stronger side effects to go with the stronger medicine. He prescribed Azathioprine and Prednisone for me, the first to be taken indefinitely and the second for a month. I must take blood tests every 2 weeks and a followup visit with the doc in a month.

He told me Azathioprine could cause cancer, but of course the chances are much greater I'd have more problems with UC if I didn't take this medicine. Part of the doctors job is to weigh options and set out a plan, I have confidence in him. It only cost about $20! I started taking it today and feel nauseous... as I expected.

Prednisone is serious as well. At least this one only costs five bucks. I have to take it before 9AM each day so I will start it tomorrow. I'll post later about what kind of effects I feel from the new meds. I am kind of concerned about them but more concerned that my UC has become even more limiting to what I can do than before.

Interestingly, the doc said I should stay on the 5-ASA drug indefinitely as well. It helps control my symptoms a little, so it makes sense that I would stay on it. I just wish it wasn't so costly as my insurance Rx coverage is not the best. So this one has cost me thousands and will continue to do so. That brings the drugs I am on this month to 3.

The doctor said it was fine if I continued to take aloe vera gel pills and fish oil supplements in addition to these 3 meds. He did mention that the fish oil could cause loose stools... which is ironic since I think that is the least of my concerns right now, considering the kind of symptoms that are common with UC!   :p

2 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your blog through a link on another IBD blog. What brand of 5-ASA are you on? Do you have to be on that one specifically? If you're on Asacol, they don't offer any financial help. But if you switch to another brand like Apriso, they offer a co-pay card where they will pay a large portion of your co-pay. I think Lialda does this as well. As long as you live in the US and have insurance, you qualify to use the cards. But maybe you totally know this already and I am not at all helpful!

    Sounds like we're on some of the same meds! I just started a blog, we'll see how it goes: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/runningfortheruns

    Anyway, good luck with the new treatment regimen!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I am on Colazal (Balsalazide), it only slowed down my symptoms getting worse so now I am taking Prednisone and Azathioprine along with it. A triple whammy! I had taken Asacol HD initially, they had a discount card a few years ago but it was still massively expensive because of my poor insurance and the meds weren't truly helping me improve anyways.

      I will ask my doc about copay for Apriso or Lialda next time I see him, thanks! Balsalazide is too expensive.

      Delete